Sunday, July 8, 2012

Shakespeare and bananas

I have to admit that every time I see a "new and exciting" diet it catches my attention.   Then, I think about every reasonable (and unreasonable) weight loss plan I've tried and I come crashing back to reality.  Take Weight Watchers for instance.   I am a card carrying Lifetime member.  For any novice reading this, that means I achieved my goal weight and stayed at it for a certain amount of time.  That means it worked right?  Problem is, I knew it was nothing I could do for the rest of my life because of the banana.
When I was reaching my goal weight and counting points, one thing the leader stressed was how many points were in a banana.  (I know WW has gone through some changes, so no one has to tell me it doesn't work like that anymore.  The damage was done).    She only allowed herself 1/2 a banana when she ate them.  I couldn't get over that.  What do you do with the other half of the banana?  If you put it in the fridge, it turned brown and mushy and I could never just toss out 1/2 a banana.  If you save them and make banana bread...well, you get the point.  I think about that every time I eat a banana (and I had a whole one this morning for breakfast).
So, what I know is I have to do something that will work for me for the rest of my life.  That's where Shakespeare comes in.  "To thine own self be true!".  And some of what works for me is eating a whole banana or having an occasional glass of wine.    If I can do that, I can leave the warm zucchini bread on the counter and call Day 3 a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment